The NSD takes national development as the central agenda based on the practice of China’s reform and modernization, presciently raises the topics around major strategic, institutional, policy, and theoretical issues, and continuously pay attention to the evolution of the globalization landscape. In the past 25 years, NSD experts and scholars have participated in almost every primary national debate on the reform issues and made significant contributions in the areas, such as new rural construction, state-owned enterprise reform, One Belt and One Road Initiative, land system reform, telecommunication reform, medical system reform, exchange rate policies, macroeconomic control, stock market governance, fertility policy reform. In 2015, the NSD was named the “Think Tank of the Year 2015” by News China.
The NSD has been in the leading place across economics and management education.
- Be the first to introduce modern economics education system in the country, including Bachelor, Dual degrees, Master and Doctor level.
- Be the first to open BiMBA joint Master of Business Administration Program between Peking University and International business school partners, approved by the State Council of the Ministry of Education. BiMBA program was among the highest in the Chinese and international business school rankings, such as Fortune and Forbes.
- The Institute of South-South Cooperation and Development (ISSCAD), established in 2016, is the first higher education institution in China aiming at developing high-ranking government officials for the developing countries in the subject area of national development and policymaking.
The NSD has 13 research centers and research institutes:
- China Center for Economic Research
- Institute of New Structural Economics at Peking University
- Center for Human Capital and Policy (CHCP), NOE-PKU
- Center for Healthy Aging and Family Studies
- PKU China Center for Health Economic Research
- Peking University China Center for Public Finance
- Peking University Center for Market and Network Economy
- Institute of Digital Finance, Peking University
- The PKU Raissun Institute for Advanced Studies (RIAS)
- Global Women's Leadership Research Center
- China Center for Energy and Development
- Future Education Center at Peking University